I went my local second-hand book store and picked up this little treasure: Fire Protection for Chemicals; mainly shopping for the size of the book. Turns out it was owned by a fire captain (he has his information written on the inside cover). It makes sense he would own it-there's a very small market for a book that is basically a love story between fire and chemicals, where everyone gets burned and one eventually kills the other. Should have made it vampires.
In any event, I got this book for 50 cents, made sure my Kobo would fit inside, and went to work.
I cut out the the pages and binding, and was ready to roll.
After some planning and measurements, my dad and I routed out a hole in a spare piece of plywood.
I then cut the piece out, and did some final routing to make it the right size, and sanded it.
After making sure it fit, I put a finish on it and sanded it some more.
Then I bought a piece of felt and glued it to the bottom and sides-the Kobo fits nice and snug, it looks great, and it's a bit of extra protection.
I then glued the plywood into the cover and clamped it in to make sure it would stay. In hindsight I might not have needed so many clamps.
I also cut four small holes for magnets on the corners-they make sure that it closes tight and stays shut, even when dropped or held upside-down.